Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A penguin of a different color


This glass ornament stands out from the crowd with its red bow tie and distinctive purple coloring. Green glitter adds to the penguin’s sparkle. I bought it and 25 other ornaments during a shopping spree at Macy’s Herald Square in New York City. I missed my train home at Penn Station that evening, and decided to kill time by checking out the Christmas decorations at Macy’s across the street. Two hours and three more missed trains later, I left the store with four Big Bags full of penguins. Lucky for me, most of them were 40 percent off.

Another ornament just like the purple one, but in more traditional colors, was included in the bunch. I guess I didn’t realize they were the same style or I would have assigned them consecutive numbers. I might also have asked the store clerks why one cost $6 and the other one only $4.50.


Little purple glass penguin with red bow tie and green glitter accents. Made in Poland.

Acquired: November 28, 2006, Macy’s Herald Square, New York

Number: 323

Size: About 2 inches tall

Price: $6.00 (40 percent off)


Little glass penguin with gold-trimmed red bow tie, red beak and feet. Made in Poland.

Acquired: November 28, 2006, Macy’s Herald Square, New York

Number: 337

Size: About 2 inches tall

Price: $4.50 (40 percent off)

No comments:

Post a Comment