Saturday, January 30, 2010

Going to the zoo



You’ve probably heard this one. I know I have. Many times.
A police officer stops a driver in a white convertible when he sees the back seat is full of penguins.
“Where do you think you’re going with these penguins?” the officer asked, as he tried to remember if there was anything he learned back in the police academy about laws concerning the transportation of penguins.
“I’m taking them to the zoo,” the driver replied.
“Well, O.K.,” the officer said, satisfied that everything must be on the up-and-up. “Drive carefully and get them there safely.”
“Thank you, officer,” the driver said as he drove off toward the zoo.
The next day, the officer sees the white convertible drive by, and to his surprise, the back seat is still full of penguins. He pulled the car over, looked in disbelief at the driver, and asked, ”Are these the same penguins you had yesterday.?”
“Why, yes, they are,” replied the driver.
“Well, I thought you told me you were taking them to the zoo,” the officer said.
“That’s right, officer,” said the driver. “And they had such a good time, today I’m taking them to a ball game.”
This is one of only a few penguin jokes I know. It seemed like a good time to tell it with this ornament that I bought at a highway rest stop on my way to the zoo. He’s made of felt and has a music chip implanted in his belly that plays “We wish you a Merry Christmas.” I was staying in Brisbane, which I had added to my Australian journey for one purpose: to go to Steve Irwin’s Australia Zoo about an hour or two north of the city. They don’t have any penguins at the zoo, but they do have some mighty ferocious crocodiles and other amazing animals for you to enjoy. Crikey, I had a fantastic time, even though I missed Steve himself, because he was back in New York for the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Plush musical penguin that plays “We Wish You a Merry Christmas,” orange feet and beak, wearing red scarf and hat with green trim.
Acquired: On the road to Steve Irwin’s Australia Zoo, Queensland, Australia
Number: 254
Price:
Size: 8.5 inches tall

No comments:

Post a Comment