Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Red or green?


It’s the official state question of New Mexico, where waiters ask which type of chile you want with your burritos or enchiladas. Which one is hotter? It depends on the recipe, not the color.
I found these two frosty glass penguins in Albuquerque’s Old Town around 1983, probably after having an enchilada combo plate at La Placita with both green and red chile. It’s hard for me to choose.
These two look like they couldn’t decide either when they dressed up for the holidays. One wears a green top hat and red scarf, the other has a red Santa hat and a green scarf. Those bright red beaks make me wonder if they’ve been deep into a beef burrito with red chile.
The one with the green top hat has a broken wing. It was always that way, although I don’t think I noticed at the time I bought it.

Acquired: around 1983. Albuquerque, N.M.
Number: unassigned 0076 0077
Price: no record.
Size: green hat about 2.75 inches tall, red hat about 2.5 inches tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment