Monday, January 18, 2010

Southwest style





A Jemez pueblo ceramic penguin is unusal, but it’s not the only southwestern pueblo penguin I own, although it is the only Christmas tree ornament of its kind in my collection. My parents gave me a beautiful ceramic penguin figurine, from Isleta pueblo. It’s about 6 inches tall, and it’s one of the many penguin objects on display at my home year-round.

The tree ornament came from Susan’s Christmas Shop near the plaza in Santa Fe sometime in the 1990s, I think. The artist from Jemez Pueblo in New Mexico signed the ceramic penguin on the bottom: “KSG Jemez NM.”
I was in Susan’s again in the summer of 2009 and saw similar examples, but decided not to add any more to the collection for now. I didn’t leave the store empty handed though. Stay tuned for more about Susan’s Christmas shop in future posts.
Acquired: 1990s, Susan’s Christmas Shop, Santa Fe, N.M.
Number: 0153
Size: about 2.5 inches tall

No comments:

Post a Comment