Sunday, January 10, 2010

Frosty the penguin

Is it a penguin or a snowman? Those pointed arms look like wings to me, but I’ll concede this one could go either way. This was the only item that looked anything like a penguin ornament at the Florida Strawberry Festival in Plant City, the Winter Strawberry Capital of the World. I really like the icicle design and I wish I had bought a dozen of them to scatter around the tree.

As I write this, there’s a cold snap in Florida, and the strawberry growers are working to keep their crops from freezing. One technique is to spray water on the plants to coat them with ice that traps the warmth inside. It makes the strawberries look kind of like this ornament with icicles hanging off each one. Keep your fingers crossed. We want them to have enough fruit for the strawberry shortcake booths at the festival this year.

This ornament is the first one with a designated number. I hope to determine an order for the ones that preceded it and assign numbers to all of them.

Acquired: March 10, 2002. Florida Strawberry Festival, Plant City.

Number: 194

Price: no record.

Size: about 5.5 inches tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment