Monday, December 20, 2010

An old friend

Maybe my favorite find at Käthe Wohlfahrt’s in Rothenburg ob der Tauber is the wood pullstring penguin on the right. When I saw it at the store I recognized an old friend that I had bought about 25 years before at the United Nations gift shop in New York. This might be the only time I intentionally bought a duplicate of an ornament that I already owned. Later that year, when I began to unpack the ornaments and set up the tree, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the new pullstring ornament was different in a number of ways. Despite the orange feet and some of the painted details, I still think of the new penguin as a duplicate of the old one.

Famo wood pullstring penguin, made in Austria
Acquired: 1980s, United Nations gift shop, New York
Number: 0039
Size: 5.25 inches tall

Wood pullstring penguin
Acquired: June 30, 2009, Käthe Wohlfart, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany
Number: 0626
Size: 5.25 inches tall
Price: 12.95 euros

No comments:

Post a Comment