Saturday, March 13, 2010

One of a kind




I was at the holiday fair at Grand Central when I was faced with a dilemma. Here was a box full of beaded penguins, each in its own handcrafted pattern. How could I pick one and leave the rest behind or go way over budget and take them all? Finally I decided I could afford one this year and hope the booth was open next year when I could buy another. I’m not even sure they were intended to be tree ornaments, but each one had a ribbon tied around its neck for hanging. I still have the tag attached with the name of the artist, a disadvantaged person from the townships of Capetown, South Africa.

Monkeybiz South Africa bead ornament
Acquired: December 21, 2009, Grand Central Terminal Holiday Festival, New York City
Number: 764
Size: 3.5 inches tall
Price: $25

No comments:

Post a Comment