Sunday, March 14, 2010

Flying home



I have two pilot penguins: the one from last week and the one above in the blue airplane that was just added to the collection last year. I’m flying home from Mexico today and I’ve got some penguins flying home with me in my carryon luggage. Did I score any penguin ornaments? Not really and not surprisingly. I knew it would be a challenge. But I did find some knitted penguin finger puppets in the old town market in Puerto Vallarta. I'll stuff them with something and sew on a loop of hanging string. I already have an ornament made from a similar finger puppet, but these look a little different. And they were cheap (20 pesos each, about $1.70) so I bought them both because their feet are different colors.
Another penguin is flying home with us too. It’s not a Christmas ornament or decoration, but I haven’t started a blog called “My Other Penguins” yet, so I thought it would be O.K. to show it off here.

North Pole collection 2009 penguin in a blue airplane with wire “hands.” A huge red felt tie and a green felt hat.
Acquired: November 19, 2009, JC Penney, Lehigh Valley Mall, Whitehall, Pa.
Number: 0733
Size: 4.5 inches long, 4 tall and 2.75 inches wide
Price: $5.99 ($11.99 before discount)

Two knitted penguin finger puppets, one with pink feet, the other with yellow.
Acquired: March 13, 2010, Old town market square, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico
Number: 0770, 0771
Price: 20 pesos each, about $3.50 total U.S.

Knitted finger puppet ornament

Acquired: December 17, 2004, Be Seated (a.k.a. Tabwa), Greenwich Avenue, New York City
Number: 0261
Size: 3.5 inches long

Painted wood penguin figurine, about 8 inches tall. Puerto Vallarta airport, March 11, 2010, $66 U.S.




No comments:

Post a Comment