Sunday, March 28, 2010

Keeping warm

Here’s another penguin peeking out of a mitten, this one made of wood. As you can see, it came from Boston, where I found the ornament at the Faneuil Hall Market. My old friend Rusty King and I had taken the Boston shuttle flight for a three-day weekend trip in 1984 or maybe a year or two later. I think it was early spring, but I remember being as cold as I have ever been. The only two times that I might have been colder were riding a slow chair lift against the wind at Mt. Gore in the Adirondacks and skiing on the north side of Mont Tremblant north of Montreal where I actually found a very tiny spot of frostbite on one of my toes. It was so cold and windy driving up there, I had to stop several times to reattach the canvas top on my Jeep Wrangler. Brrrr.

Wooden penguin in a Boston mitten
Acquired: 1984 or a year or two later
Number: 0038
Size: 3.5 inches tall

No comments:

Post a Comment