Sunday, November 21, 2010

Penguin with a twist

I don’t know if the asymmetrical shape of this penguin was intentional or the result of a horrible shipping accident, but either way, the lopsided pose gives the ornament an extra bit of character. My notes say it was handcrafted in Poland, so maybe each ornament has its own personality. I bought this ornament on a visit to Fountains of Wayne, a patio furnishings store that turned into a winter wonderland once a year for Christmas. Upstairs you could walk through a free gallery of 3D holiday scenes. I used to ride by Fountains of Wayne on my bus ride to and from work every day, and finally was able to stop in when I was in the neighborhood one day. They didn’t have a lot of penguin ornaments, but there were plenty of other penguin objects and just about any other kind of Christmas decorations that you might want. Sadly, the store is gone now, but at least I was able to get this and a few other penguin ornaments before it closed.

Varsovia fine molded glass ornament
Acquired: November 16, 2008, Fountains of Wayne, New Jersey
Number: 0567
Size: 3.75 inches tall
Price: $14.99 (15 percent discount)

No comments:

Post a Comment