Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Kris Kringle, part V: Chilly Willy

These Chilly Willy ornaments really brought back some memories. He was the creation of Walter Lantz, who is more famous for his Woody Woodpecker, my favorite cartoon character. I liked Woody, not because he was any funnier than Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse and their friends, but because of his infectious staccato laugh and because I could do a pretty good drawing of him when I was very young. Willy probably made an impression too, though I don’t remember trying to draw him. I mentioned to Marge that the pole was broken on the fishing Chilly Willy, thinking she might have another copy. But most of the ornaments in her store are one-of-a-kind. She sought out collectibles like the Hallmark serial issues. “I’ll give it to you half off,” she said.

Fishing Chilly Willy
Acquired: Sept. 2, 2007, Kris Kringle, Scottsdale, Ariz.
Number: 0372
Size: Fishing, 4.5 inches tall; skating, 3.5 inches tall
Price: $5 (half off from $9.99)

Skating Chilly Willy
Acquired: Sept. 2, 2007, Kris Kringle, Scottsdale, Ariz.
Number: 0373
Size: Fishing, 3.5 inches tall; skating, 3.5 inches tall
Price: $6.95

No comments:

Post a Comment