Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Kris Kringle, part IV: Mom and Pop

There was no one in the store that day except me and Marge, the owner, who got into the Christmas business when she bought a box of ornaments at an auction and started selling them at street festivals with her husband. One thing led to another and Kris Kringle was the result. Her husband had died about ten years earlier, but she kept the shop open, even though she said it didn’t really make that much money, because she loves it, and just in case her grown children wanted to keep it going. In the back of the store was a shelf filled with toys from fast food kiddie meals to keep her grandchildren busy. I wandered through the store until I found the penguin cache where Marge caught up with me. “I wasn’t going to be open today, but I thought I would get some things done,” she told me. I still can’t believe how lucky I was to find this amazing place, a “mom-and-pop” shop that would be just like one I might have liked to own myself.

Hallmark 1989 Mom and Dad skaters
Acquired: Sept. 2, 2007, Kris Kringle, Scottsdale, Ariz.
Number: 0370
Size: 2.5 inches tall
Price: $9.75

No comments:

Post a Comment