Sunday, September 5, 2010

Kris Kringle, part II: hollow head

I headed for Scottsdale, hoping to find some local flavor for dinner and also hoping to find some gift shops, maybe even a Christmas store. I didn’t know where I would wind up, but I began to worry when all I could see were fast food chain after fast food chain and not much in the way of boutiques. McDonalds, Burger King, even Taco Bell, were the only restaurants I could see. I was even ready to settle for a Carl’s Jr. as I grew hungrier and hungrier. Finally, I spotted a place that was brightly painted and had splashes of neon signs in its windows. Better yet, there was a multi-level parking garage next door. And it looked like I had arrived in the heart of old Scottsdale with several shops in view. I parked in the garage and walked toward the exit near the restaurant. As I came out of the garage I could see a shop directly across the street with a sign in huge letters that said, “Kris Kringle.” I couldn’t believe my luck. Unfortunately, the store was dark and the neighborhood seemed deserted, not surprising because it was rather late on a Saturday. But a sign on the door said the store would be open the next day. Here’s another one of the ornaments I found when I went back. It’s a hollowed out ceramic penguin head, which seems like it might have a functional purpose, but it’s too big to be a finger puppet or a thimble.

Ceramic penguin head, made in China
Acquired: Sept. 2, 2007, Kris Kringle, Scottsdale, Ariz.
Number: 0368
Size: 1.5 inches tall by 2.25 inches wide
Price: $5.95

No comments:

Post a Comment