Monday, September 6, 2010

Kris Kringle, part III: beak to beak

I always have a feeling of wonder when I walk into a Christmas store. When you step through a Christmas shop doorway, you leave the busy everyday world outside and spend a few moments surrounded by all the colors and lights, sometimes music and aroma, that evoke memories of childhood joy, family tradition and earthly peace. When I went into Kris Kringle, I knew I was in an extraordinary place. First of all, it didn’t look like a store, but more like the home of an eccentric who obsessively added Christmas decorations year round and never took any of them down. And it was orderly. Here were the antique Santa figurines. There were all the wild animal ornaments. The snowmen had their own aisle. And the penguins were neatly arranged on their own little tree. I picked it pretty clean, but I left behind several ornaments that I already owned. Here’s another one of the ornaments I bought that day, two penguins, each with it’s own hanging loop, but glued together at the beak.

Hallmark felt kissing penguins attached at the beak
Acquired: Sept. 2, 2007, Kris Kringle, Scottsdale, Ariz.
Number: 0369
Size: 4 inches tall
Price: $4.50

No comments:

Post a Comment