Sunday, February 28, 2010

Pittsburgh Penguin


I had two missions to accomplish when I revisited Pittsburgh in 2008. One was to see the Pirates in their new home near where the old Three Rivers Stadium was located. It’s a beautiful spot, a short walk across a bridge from downtown with excellent views of the skyline beyond the outfield. It was one of the few times I’ve been rained out of a baseball game, but the delay made it possible for me to see my first double header the next day. I was worried about falling behind schedule on my intended route through Cincinnati, St. Louis and Kansas City to check off some of the other ballparks I hadn’t visited yet. But the extra day in Pittsburgh gave me more time for my other mission: to find some Pittsburgh Penguin booty and maybe even a Penguins tree ornament. I needed the extra day because the Penguins shop was closed at the Mellon Arena. It’s known as the Igloo because of it’s domed shape, because of the icy sport that’s played inside and because of a misconceived geographical connection between penguins and igloos, but I think Mellon is an equally descriptive name for the building. The next day I arrived early so I could do my shopping and still make it to the baseball stadium in time for the first pitch. I came away with a t-shirt commemorating the Penguins’ conference title and also this hockey player ornament. He qualifies as a penguin tree ornament on two levels. First, he’s wearing a hockey sweater with Pittsburgh Penguin team emblems and, second, he is, himself, a Penguin. I have tried to replace the removable hockey stick with a candy cane, but his hands are too small. I’m not a hockey fan, so I didn’t pay attention to the fact that he represents an actual person, Jordan Staal, who is one of three brothers playing in the National Hockey League. Brother Eric, of he Carolina Hurricanes, is a member of Canada’s Olympic team this year. Eric and Jordan played together on Canada’s world championship team in 2007. Brother Marc is a New York Ranger, and another brother, Jared, who was drafted by the Phoenix Coyotes, currently plays for the Sudbury Wolves of the Ontario Hockey League. Hallmark had a smaller Penguins ornament of Sidney Crosby last year, but the one I saw was gone when I went back to the store to buy it a couple of weeks later. I have one other Penguins ornament which we’ll get to another day. It’s a good one too.

Forever Collectibles Jordan Staal Pittsburgh Penguins player ornament with removable hockey stick
Acquired: May 2008, Pittsburgh Penguins Team Store at the Igloo
Number: 462
Price: $5 (originally $15)
Size: 5 inches tall

No comments:

Post a Comment