Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A night at the opera


This tiny ornament is a beauty, but wait ‘til you hear this: it’s made of glue — molded and hardened Elmer’s glue! He looks like he’s headed for a big night out, maybe to the opera, in his black tails with a brilliantly colored bouquet of roses tucked under his wing. I was in Santa Fe last summer to see La Traviata and while I was there I found the ornament at Susan’s, one of my favorite Christmas shops. The opera was fantastic, but even better was finding out by surprise that my good friend Barb, who I hadn’t seen in years, was part of our group. It's good to know that even after a long separation, friends stick together, like glue.

Small dried glue penguin with roses
Acquired: August 16, 2009, Susan’s Christmas Shop, Santa Fe, New Mexico
Number: 700
Price: $20
Size: about 1.75 inches tall

(I have to mention this: my spell checker wants me to replace Traviata with Travolta.)

1 comment:

  1. The ornament is great and this blog is fantastic! That night at the Opera was extra special after the surprise we had seeing each other again. Hooray for David B. and Janelle C. Well, it's cold in New Mexico but your shout out to me and this blog have warmed my heart. I have to run now, I am knee deep into penguin ornaments. Geez, HGTV here we come!

    ReplyDelete