Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snowbabies


Department 56’s Snowbabies series consists of white bisque porcelain figurines for holiday decorating, mostly featuring toddlers in wooly onesies frolicking in the snow with each other and sometimes with arctic creatures like polar bears and penguins. This baby even has angel wings. Kristi Jensen Pierro is the artist behind Snowbabies, which were first introduced by Department 56 in 1987. Some Snowbabies are tree ornaments, but I have only found two with penguins, including this one that I bought at the Department 56 store in Downtown Disney at Disneyland while I was in Los Angeles for a convention. You have to click on the picture and zoom in to see the amazing detail, especially on the baby’s face. The box, which looks like a small green hardbound book, has the number XV on its spine and this poem on its back:
“Best Friends” are we,
My little penguinand me.
Standing closely together,
Treasured memories forever.
I've been to Disney World countless times and lived "next door" in Kissimmee for nearly a year, but this was my first visit to Disneyland, fulfilling a childhood dream of riding the Matterhorn roller coaster.

Department 56 Snowbabies “Best Friends” mini ornament
Acquired: September 10, 2003, Downtown Disney, Disneyland, Anaheim, Calif.
Number: 206
Size: 2.375 inches tall
Price: $12.50 

No comments:

Post a Comment