Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The rakish skater


It must be that wicked over-the-shoulder glance from this ceramic skier’s eye, along with the holly bouquet and smartly wrapped gift tucked under his wings and the dashing red scarf, that prompted my friend and colleague Jean Rutter to say she thought he had a rakish look about him. I’ve called him the rakish skater ever since. Long before I started numbering and cataloging the collection, I tried to think of nicknames for each penguin to help me keep track of them from year to year. The rakish skater is one my favorite ornaments and it’s my all-time favorite nickname. Thanks, Jean. I can narrow down when I bought this penguin, because it had to be between 1989 and 1992 when Jean and I worked together on the graphics desk at The New York Times. Otherwise, I might think it was around 1985 because a stamp on the back of the penguin’s leg says “Schmid, ©Gordon Fraser 1985.”

Flattish ceramic skier with holly, gift and red scarf
Acquired: 1989-1992, Macy’s Herald Square, New York City
Number: 0135
Size: 3.5 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment