Monday, February 15, 2010

Big and little brothers

These two skiing penguins look an awful lot alike, but the one on the right is considerable shorter than the other one. Both are on 5.125-inch long skis. The tall one has the distinction of being ornament number 200, at which point it became clear to me that I needed to start cataloguing the collection to keep track of which ones came when and from whom. There is a big mystery surrounding No. 200. It was left in my mailbox at work with a note that said “From a secret Santa!” It’s kind of fun having a mystery, but I really wish I could tell the generous giver that this was a big milestone in my penguin tree collection. I bought the smaller one myself about three years later at the Holiday Shops in New York City’s Bryant Park.

Tall wooden penguin on old-fashioned style “popsicle stick” skis
Acquired: 2002
Number: 200
Size: 4.75 inches tall

Short wooden penguin on old-fashioned style “popsicle stick” skis
Acquired: Dec. 21, 2005, Holiday Shops at Bryant Park
Number: 282
Size: 4.25 inches tall
Price: $15

No comments:

Post a Comment