Friday, February 12, 2010

Olympics opening ceremony

The Winter Olympics are under way and I’ve got a lot of skiing, skating and sledding penguins to get us through the games. These two sledders used to be four, all identical, that I bought in the early years of the collection when all the ornaments seemed to come in sets of four. That’s the only explanation for why I deliberately bought four penguin ornaments that were exactly the same. They might be the first ornaments I bought for myself. I believe the previous sets of four were all given to me as gifts. Later, realizing that I didn’t need all of the sledders, I decided to spread the penguin love around a little and I gave two of them away. One went to my brother and sister-in-law and their family, but I don’t remember who got the other one. Because I gave these ornaments away before I started assigning numbers, I don’t count them in the total. I bought the sledders on my first visit to Park City, Utah, and the other ski areas near Salt Lake City. Park City was the venue for giant slalom and two snowboard events, GS and halfpipe, at the 2002 Winter Olympics.

Wooden sledders
Acquired: March 10, 1984. Park City, Utah. Rocky Mountain Christmas Gifts
Number: 0028 0029
Price: $12.93
Size: 2.25 inches tall

No comments:

Post a Comment