Friday, February 4, 2011

Look familiar?


I should have put these penguins up on Groundhog Day. They’re repeats of some other ornaments that are cut from the same mold, but painted differently and sold under different brand names. They keep popping up. The top one’s distinction is the “Cape May” inscription, which makes it a nice souvenir of my visit there. I bought another one a few months later. Two others have already appeared on the blog last June (No. 208) and November (No. 486). I discovered the similarities when I was getting ready to decorate the trees for Christmas. You can clearly see a birdhouse under the right wing, but I haven’t been able to figure out what’s under the other wing, though it looks like a gift on at least one of the ornaments.

Small glass Cape May penguin with Santa hat and blue scarf
Acquired: August 7, 2010, Westwood Gifts, Cape May, N.J.
Number: 0791
Size: 3.25 inches tall
Price: $2.99

Another small glass penguin with birdhouse
Acquired: November 20, 2010, Macy’s Herald Square, New York
Number: 0863
Size: 3.25 inches tall
Price: $4.32 (originally $8)

No comments:

Post a Comment