Friday, October 29, 2010

Enormous candy cane

This penguin nestled in the crook of a large candy cane came from The Flower Petaler in the historic village of St. Charles, Mo., near St. Louis. I was going to an afternoon baseball game at the Cardinals’ new stadium, so I showed up at the store early in the morning. The store wasn’t open yet, but let me in to poke around. You had to enter the Christmas shop through a florist shop that smelled just like all the flower shops where my mother worked when I was growing up. It was the most orderly Christmas shop I’ve ever been in. All the walls were divided into equal-sized pigeon holes, and each pigeon hole had one ornament hanging in it. They didn’t have a lot of penguins, but I was happy to find this very nice one.

Merck Family’s Old World Christmas glass penguin with a huge, glittery candy cane
Acquired: May 17, 2008, The Flower Petaler, St. Charles, Mo.
Number: 0470
Size: 3.5 inches tall
Price: $7.99

No comments:

Post a Comment