Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The survivor

I bought two fantastic Waterford ornaments at Lord & Taylor. This one on a sleigh has what looks like a pineapple painted on its belly. I didn’t take a photo of the other one, because it lies shattered in its box, one of four ornaments that I’ve had to retire. However, I did find a small photo online to show what it looks like. A couple of years ago, I heard a little pop in the other room where I had my Christmas tree. I went to look and found a tiny pile of glass fragments on the carpet and a hole in one corner of the ornament. This is not the only time I’ve had a glass ornament explode, but usually it’s just a tiny hole. I was able to hang the broken ornament the following year, but last year even more had broken while it was in storage. This year, I have the delicate ornaments stored inside the house, but I’m afraid that this is the eventual fate of all blown glass ornaments.

Waterford sledding pineapple penguin
Acquired: November 26, 2005, Lord & Taylor, New York City
Number: 0272
Size: 5.25 inches tall
Price: $45

Waterford penguin couple with leafy bellies and green and magenta hats
Acquired: November 26, 2005, Lord & Taylor, New York City
Number: 0273 (retired)
Price: $45

No comments:

Post a Comment