Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I brake for penguins

On the ride home from Montreal, we stopped for lunch at Lake George, roughly the halfway mark in the trip. Rather than heading straight back to the New York State Thruway, I was driving through town looking for a gas station or an ATM, I don’t remember which when, out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw Christmas whizz by. As soon as it was safe, I made a U-turn and, sure enough, pulled in to A Christmas to Remember, a big store with a lot of promise. I only found these two ornaments, but their quality made the stop worthwhile. The skater skillfully balancing a couple armfuls of wrapped gifts and nattily dressed caroler with peppermint cane and top hat are made of plaster I think. They’re very heavy and beautifully painted and decorated. Zoom in to check out the band on the top hat. When I unpack the penguins I'm going to try to take a better detail shot, but you can see how nice it is even on this snapshot.

Skater balancing gifts
Acquired: September 15, 2002, A Christmas to Remember, Lake George, New York
Number: 197
Size: about 4.5 inches tall

Caroler with top hat and cane
Acquired: September 15, 2002, A Christmas to Remember, Lake George, New York
Number: 198
Size: about 4.5 inches tall


No comments:

Post a Comment