Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Walk in the park

Bryant Park, one of my favorite green spaces in New York City, covers nearly two city blocks behind the Astor Library building. In the warm months its crammed with midtown workers on their lunch breaks. During the holidays it becomes a winter wonderland with a skating rink surrounded by dozens of small gift kiosks. It’s an excellent place to find that hard to find gift and it’s always a good place to find penguins. Here are four similar ornaments that came from two different shops. All could have been personalized for free, but I left them blank except for one “NYC 2006.” I don’t remember if I asked them to write that for me, or if I found an ornament already inscribed. I also don’t remember why I paid so much for them. I guess that’s why the inscriptions were “free.”

Penguin with big red heart and green scarf, Rudolph and Me Inc., made in China
Acquired: December 4, 2006, Santa’s Pen/Workshop, Bryant Park, New York
Number: 0344
Size: 4 inches tall
Price: $15.99

Kissing penguins under snow-covered heart, Rudolph and Me Inc., made in China
Acquired: December 4, 2006, Santa’s Pen/Workshop, Bryant Park, New York
Number: 0345
Size: 4.5 inches tall
Price: $12.99

Family of six penguins with wire skates, Rudolph and Me Inc., made in China
Acquired: December 4, 2006, Santa’s Pen/Workshop, Bryant Park, New York
Number: 0346
Size: 3.5 inches tall by 4 inches wide
Price: $17.99

Ceramic penguin with string of Christmas stockings, Panel Trim Inc.
Acquired: December 4, 2006, Bryant Park, New York
Number: 0348
Size: 3.75 inches tall

No comments:

Post a Comment