Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Former key ring

This little plush penguin came to me from Germany thanks to my friends Tim and Nancy Anderson, who bought it on a trip to Berlin. It has a label that calls it a “Button in ear” (Knopf in Ohr) animal. Penguins have no ears, so this one’s label is buttoned to a wing. There was a key ring, which I removed. I was in Berlin later on for about 24 hours and didn’t have any luck finding a penguin ornament. I found a toy shop that made and sold wooden figurines. They had penguins. They had ornaments. Just no penguin ornaments. I also went to the zoo thinking there might be souvenir shops nearby. No such luck. I didn’t actually go in the zoo because it was late in the day, but I think there was a gift shop inside. In all this futile search, I saw a lot of Berlin during my short stay. I’d like to go back and try again.

Steiff “Button in Ear” plush penguin with brownish beak and feet
Acquired: January 24, 2007, gift from Tim and Nancy Anderson
Number: 0356
Size: 4 inches tall

No comments:

Post a Comment