Thursday, August 26, 2010

Fine feathered friends

It might look like these two elegant penguins came from the same place, and they probably did, although I bought them just over a year apart. The black one came from a holiday kiosk named “Jesterbal at Bryant Park in New York. The clerk was on his phone the entire time I was in the shop, so there was a lot of pointing to get this penguin off its hook hanging from the ceiling and into my shopping bag. I don’t think we exchanged more than “How much?” and “$30.” I saw the silver penguin at a different kiosk around the corner from Jesterbal, but for some strange reason I decided not to buy it. The next year, I saw the silver penguin again, probably at Jesterbal again, but I don’t have a receipt that would tell me if it was the same shop. All I remember is that the kiosk was in roughly the same area, and that it was a completely different shopping experience. Instead of an indifferent man on a phone, the second-year store clerk dug through a bunch of boxes looking for the silvery penguin and a couple of others ornaments (one I bought, one I didn’t). Another nice change was how the second-year clerk rounded down on the price after tax. Just for the record, these two penguins probably make it onto my Top 10 favorites list.

Black glittery penguin with feather wings, gold brocade vest and white ribbon bow tie, Katherine’s Collection, made in the Philippines
Acquired: Dec. 4, 2006, Jesterbal, Bryant Park, New York
Number: 0347
Size: 5 inches tall
Price: $30

Silver glittery penguin with feather wings, gold brocade vest and white ribbon bow tie, Katherine’s Collection, made in the Philippines
Acquired: Dec. 7, 2007, Probably Jesterbal, Bryant Park, New York
Number: 0435
Size: 5 inches tall
Price: $25

No comments:

Post a Comment