Saturday, February 11, 2012

Bargain bin


I was in New York City with friends and their relatives from Brazil. I sort of became the guide and led the group on a winding tour from Penn Station to Times Square, Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, Central Park and back again. One of our stops was Saks Fifth Avenue, where some of the group wanted to look at dresses and shoes. I took the opportunity to go upstairs to the post-Christmas bargains and I found a couple of penguin ornaments. The Christopher Radko glass penguin is an exclusive design for Saks. You never see the Radkos on sale, but Saks must have had hundreds loosely piled in the bargain bins. The detail on this ornament is amazing, especially the holly wrapping paper in the gift bag. 

The knit ornament reminded me of another one I bought in New Mexico. I was desperately trying to look it up on my phone at the checkout line, but I reached the counter before I was able to find the ornament on the blog. It turned out to be the same as ornament No. 701 only smaller and, therefore, not an exact duplicate. When I was packing up this year I noticed a tag that gave the name of the person who knitted the penguin. For some reason, I didn’t write that down in my notes. I’ll try to come back and update when I unpack next Christmas.

Saks Penny Pal by Christopher Radko glass in Santa suit with candy cane and “Merry Christmas 2011” on blue toy bag
Acquired: December 28, 2011, Saks Fifth Avenue, New York City, N.Y.
Number: 1041
Size: 3.5 inches tall
Price: $18 (60 percent off $45)

Poca a Poco furry haired knit penguin from Albuquerque, N.M.
Acquired: December 28, 2011, Saks Fifth Avenue, New York City, N.Y.
Number: 1042
Size: 3 inches tall
Price: $7.20 (60 percent off $18)

No comments:

Post a Comment